Home > About AAMT
About The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers
The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers (AAMT) Inc., founded in 1966, is the nation’s premier organisation of mathematics educators. It aims to:
- support and enhance the work of teachers;
- promote the learning of mathematics; and
- represent and promote interests in mathematics education.
It is a federation of associations of teachers of mathematics from each Australian State and Territory and has around 4500 individual and institutional members.
AAMT actively serves the needs of members and others in the mathematics education community through:
- facilitating the professional networking of teachers and educators
- developing formal policies and position statements
- publishing newsletters;
- publishing three journals
- publishing books and conference proceedings
- conducting national conferences
- undertaking projects and consultancy work with governments, industry, universities, and other organisations
- acting as a consultant and lobbyist on mathematics education issues
- building relationships with other education associations and organisations
- selling selected Australian and international mathematics resources
- advocating the development and use of professional standards for teachers.
The Association is funded through membership fees and its other activities.
The Council of the AAMT is the decision-making body (like the ‘board of directors’). The Council consists of one member from each state and territory, plus a President, President Elect or Immediate Past President, and Treasurer. The Council meets at least four times per year. The Association's Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held in conjunction with the Council's second meeting for the year (second quarter).
2015 Annual Report
The Annual Report of AAMT for the 2015 Financial Yer (01 February 2015-31 January 2016).
AAMT_AnnualReport_2015.pdf 2.31 MB
Constitution and Regulations
The Constitution and Regulations of the Association.
Strategic Plan 2014-16
The Strategic Plan of the Association can be downloaded as a PDF file using the link below.
StratPlan_2014-16.pdf 111.05 kB
AAMT policies and position statements
The AAMT has published a variety of formal policy and position statements on assorted topics related to mathematics education.
AAMT travel policy
AAMT's policy regarding booking travel for those conducting work for or on behalf of the association (revised September 2014)
AAMT Travel Policy_Sept2014.pdf 154.59 kB
A listing of Life Members of the Association and people to whom Distinguished Service Awards have been made.